My rating: 4 of 5 stars
This book was such a surprise! It just looks so unassuming, I never expected to be so charmed by it! It is based on a collection of correspondences between characters with one Elizabeth McKenna in common in the aftermath of World War 2. But it's so much more than that! It's a love story, a story of heroism, a historical tale, a tragedy, and a work of charming humour all in one! And it is the only book written by 70 year old librarian Mary Ann Shaffer! It's a little gem of a book; rare, precious, delicate and beautiful.
View all my reviews
Recapping the Challenge...
- Literary Fiction - Cold Comfort Farm, Stella Gibbons
- Crime/Mystery Fiction - Truth, Peter Temple
- Romantic Fiction - A Good Indian Wife, Anne Cherian
- Historical Fiction - Wild Lavender, Belinda Alexandra
- Young Adult - Catching Fire, Suzanna Collins
- Fantasy - Angel's Blood, Nalini Singh
- Science Fiction - Adjustment Team, Philip K Dick
- Non Fiction - Pole to Pole, Pat Farmer
- Horror - The Turn Of the Screw, Henry James
- Thriller /Suspense - Bold Blood, Lindy Kelly
- Classic - Anne of Avonlea, L M Montgomery (Currently reading for December)
- Your favourite genre - The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, Mary Ann Shaffer