Jan 23, 2012

2012 eclectic reader challenge: january - literary fiction.





I wasn't really sure what to read for this category, as the line between 'literary' fiction and 'fiction' seems pretty blurry as far as I can tell!!! So I picked this book: It read promisingly from the blurb, it had no classification on our library shelf, and I like reading about different cultures.

Having read it - I wouldn't call it 'literary' :( Oops, my bad.

Don't get me wrong! I enjoyed it! It's a nice story, I enjoyed the little insights into Indian culture and everything; but I'd call this a romance. Character development wasn't very deep, the writing was fairly unadorned, and the plot was fairly predictable, if I'm honest. 

The main male character Suneel started to irritate me after a while, and I wanted to tell him not to be a selfish, whining teenager mostly, but I did like and admire Leila, and I think that's what kept me reading! :)

Altogether, a nice read. A romance with a bit of a difference! I gave it 3/5 on Goodreads.


Join in!

2 comments:

  1. You can always count it as your romance genre instead :)
    Thanks for sharing your first review for the Eclectic Reader Challenge.

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I think I will Shelley! I feel a bit cheated out of my literary fiction otherwise... ;) Must pick better next time!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete