Apr 26, 2011

childhood friends

After the death this year of Elizabeth Taylor, I dug up my old dog-eared copy of National Velvet ready to read it to my daughter, which I always dreamed I would. Miss K is only 1 year old, but I figure, there's no harm in being prepared, and maybe re-reading it again, for the hundredth time, just to refresh my memory... :)

Books I am dying to read to Miss K - in no particlar order:

1) The Secret Garden - Francis Hodgenson-Burnett
2) Little Women - Louisa May Alcott
3) National Velvet - Enid Bagnold
4) Matilda - Roald Dahl
5) The BFG - Roald Dahl
6) Hairy MacClary from Donaldson's Dairy - Lynley Dodd
7) Anne of Green Gables - LM Montgomery
8) Thing - Robin Klein
9) The Lorax - Dr Seuss

What books do you love/would you love to read to your kids?

I think one of the reasons that I am so passionate about kids literacy, is that one of my earliest, clearest memories, is when I realised I could read.

I remember it so well, I can transport myself back there instantly. I was the only one up in the house, it was about 6am. I was on the couch with a blanket and a book - "The Cat in The Hat" by Dr Seuss. This book had been read to me many times, but I distinctly remember the exact moment where I thought "Oh my god... that says 'and we did not like it, not one little bit'... I can understand those words! That's 'cat', those squiggles mean 'cat'! And those ones, and those ones, and those ones...! Oh my god... I can READ THAT!" And I read the whole book aloud from cover to cover.

Isn't that a cool memory?! :)

Do you remember your first favourite book? Or when you learnt to read?

No comments:

Post a Comment